Before you get started:
- There are two annual granting periods: August – December, and January – June.
- Successful applicants will receive a first cheque of (up to) $300. A second cheque of $200 will be issued once the Alberta Emerald Foundation receives a follow-up report about the project. Follow-up reports must be received within three months of the project's approval date.
- Only group projects will be considered. The project or initiative must be led by, or targeted to individuals who are aged 25 years and under.
- Grant applications will be reviewed monthly. Funds will be allocated to those projects that best support the goals of the Youth Environmental Engagement Grant program.
- Grants will only be distributed to future projects, and cannot be backdated.
- A maximum of two grants will be issued to each school/organization per year. Applicants may submit their second proposal once their follow-up report from their first project has been received and approved by the Alberta Emerald Foundation.
- Youth Environmental Engagement Grant applications are distributed monthly while funds are available. Applications are reviewed in the first week of the month, and successful applicants will be updated with their status by mid-month.
The Youth Environmental Engagement Grant categories are:
GREEN BUILDERS: For the development of new green spaces, or the enhancement and improvement of existing ones. Includes community gardens, outdoor classrooms, and urban naturalization projects.
GREEN SCHOLARS: For educational experiences that result in environmental learning, inspiration, and personal/professional development. Includes presentations, experiments, field trips.
GREEN ENERGIZERS : For the initiation of renewable energy or energy conservation projects, or the enhancement and improvement of existing ones.
GREEN GUARDIANS (PRESENTED BY ABCRC): For the protection and/or restoration and/or maintenance of natural habitats and areas. Also for the creation of new recycling or composting programs, or the enhancement and improvement of existing ones.